Here are just some of the things that I know work.
- Unplug Yourself…Turn off the electronics as often as you can, especially on the weekend. I hear the reasons why you must stay plugged in already, but give it a chance, at least for one day or even a few hours each night. Put the phone down and turn off the computer. Give your work brain a rest. Here’s the side-effect: You will have time to actually connect with your family and friends!
2. Cut It Off…It’s a given that if your life is overflowing you will not be able to create balance and manage it all. It’s just not possible. Say NO to to the things/people that are either not essential or don’t add something valuable to your life. Get hardcore with yourselves.
3. Pay Attention To How You Feel Physically…I know and you know what we need to do, but until we are half dead we do nothing. Our health really does affect the quality of our lives and our work. We are far more happy and able to do more when we get enough sleep, eat a little healthy and fit in some type of physical activity.
4. Lessen Your Toxin Intake…By that I don’t mean chemicals (though that might help as well.) Lessen the negative influences around you. Avoid those toxic people (complainers, negative folks, gossipy, whiners, poor attitude carriers.) If you can’t completely avoid them, at least lessen the contact with them. Surround yourself with positive, supportive, can-do people whenever possible
5. Spend Time By Yourself…Making time for you is probably the hardest thing to do for the typical overwhelmed person, but it is crucial for lowering stress, increasing happiness and encouraging creativity. Here are some things you can do with yourself; meditate, write, sketch, do some yoga or simply sit quietly for a few minutes each day and do absolutely nothing. Remember to BREATHE!! You can do this!
6. Relationships Count…Make sure you are spending quality time with your family and friends. Don’t just sit in front of your television eating popcorn! I encourage you to really connect and pay attention to those you care about. Have a date night with your significant other, have coffee with a friend, play a game with a child. Really get to know the people around you and who happen to love you…unbalanced and all.
7. Practice Self/Care Self/Love…Go get yourself a pedicure or a facial. If it costs too much go to the schools that teach it and you will have even greater service and very little cost. Better yet, schedule a massage (there are massage schools as well). It doesn’t need to be anything that costs a small fortune. Have a cup of your favorite coffee or tea, light your best a scented candle or get a small bouquet of amazing flowers for yourselves. It will make a huge difference in your life.
8. Use Your Mind…Take a class, learn to paint or try something new that you’ve always wanted to learn to do. Maybe you could read a book that sparks your interest or give listening to uplifting music a go. Find what interests you.
Lastly…remember fun? Laugh, joke, play, color, find your sense of humor, subscribe to a daily joke or get a tear-off calendar with funny things on it. Live out loud my friends. Life is too short.